Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Qualifiers

So I was just looking at some pictures on an old coworker's facebook page when I saw a somewhat shocking comment. I should give some background on this girl. SHE'S GORGEOUS mashaAllah! Like seriously she puts supermodel to shame. And, mashaAllah, even better is that she's a genuinely nice young woman. Well anyone, a guy wrote on her picture "When I was at XYZ University, she was the baddest BLACK chick there" (emphasis added my moi). It bothered me because she wasn't the baddest chick at the school (which she probably was), she was the baddest Black chick. As if it's a shock to be beautiful AND Black...smh. I don't understand that thought pattern.

I was at a housewarming a little while ago and a friend (T for purposes of this post) asked me what my hair looked like since I haven't worn it out in awhile. Dumb question in my opinion but whatever. T also asked if h2b was making me wear it. Another dumb question. Another friend (S for purposes of this post) pointed out that so and so's doesn't make his wife cover her hair so why would my h2b make me (cheers to friend S). T then says well "she's Indian and she has beautiful hair so of course she wouldn't cover it but you, Millz, you're Black so I could see why you would cover your hair." WOW! I don't think I've ever wanted to punch someone so bad before. I'm so glad that God has given me the ability to ignore people REALLY well.

One of my current coworker's grandchildren are all mixed. Both her children have Black spouses. Her son has sons and her daughter is currently pregnant with a little girl mashaAllah. Her oldest grandson has very curly hair (think Corbin Bleu from High School Musical). She was concerned though about her other grandchildren's hair though. She hoped that they didn't get that Afro hair and if they did she hopes she won't have to watch them because they'll be coming out of the house looking like Buckwheat because she can't do "that kind of hair." WOW!

It really makes me angry but mostly sad, that the world views Black people as being unattractive or having unattractive features. And if a Black woman or man IS very attractive it's somehow a fluke in the system. It really hurts. Sometimes I find myself looking in the mirror wishing I could change my hair, or my nose, or whatever and I have to catch myself. I have to tell myself that I'm still beautiful whether my hair is straightened or natural or whether I look Black or European. I've also been wondering if I'm covering my hair more because I'm embarrassed to have my hair in it's natural state or whether I'm doing it for Allah. I want to say that it's for Allah but inside I think it does have something to do with the fact that when people see my hair, their first reaction is something very close to disgust. I do want to feel beautiful but it's hard when people look at me like I can never be beautiful.

I'm going to have children someday insha'Allah and I wonder how I'll teach them to feel beautiful just being themselves. My mother relaxed my hair when I was less than 10. She was straightening my hair with a hot comb by the time I was 5. That's over 20 years of changing who I naturally am!! I don't know how to love myself being natural. It's taking a lot out of me and people's reactions do not help. My sisters have dead straight hair. My cousin has long, wavy/curly hair, most of my friends either have naturaly straight or chemically straightened hair. Sometimes I feel like the ugly duckling, even with my hair covered. How am I going to tell my furture children that they are beautiful and worthy without having to change how they look, especially when we live in such an ignorant world? How can I teach them being Black is beautiful when everyone around is telling them the opposite and when I'm still effected by that type of negativity?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

ASA sister,
this is the number one question for black women since the White man and other black people made of to feel ashamed of our look. First I will start with the white man...and yes I said it. White people have always tried to break our spirit. That is how you control a people. You make them hate themselves. As for black people we just took what the white man said and took it to the next level. Think Jigga a boo vs. wanna b's(School Daze) How you love yourself is by loving Allah. And how HE said that ab Arab is not above another....a white over a black....etc. I think what we have to do is educate. The dialog has opened now change it....I know it can be exhausting but when you get these questions talk it out...Especially if they are from another country because they seem to be going straight off of stereo types....Love yourself as Allah loves you....He made you!!! And as my Grand-Momma use to say....God (Allah) don't make no mistakes!!! : )

Lazeena Umm Yusuf said...

Oh wow, I really can't believe that comment about your hair! How messed up is that? I agree with Malek's comment, beautifully said mashaAllah

Anonymous said...

Assalamu Alaikum sister,
Have you ever read any works by bell hooks? She does a superior job breaking down why black women often have insecurity about their appearances and she also offers suggestions about how to overcome such internalized racism. My sister has a little girl who is interracial and she has hair that is tight curly and everywhere. I love it. But she is constantly (and obsessively) trying to smooth it down. She is only 3 years old, but she is surrounded by white women with long blonde hair. It doesn't help that all the standard cultural beauty takes the form of white women. She idolized Hannah Montana. And a funny note, she told me I looked scary with my hijab on. I don't know what goes on in that child's mind. May ALLah guide her and her mother.
We are all Allah's creation and thus we are made just right.

Cara B said...

I've had an experience with someone calling my friend "the prettiest black girl I've ever seen." I was insulted for the same reason as you, like, why did race have to enter that comment? And, additionally, because I am a black woman, and I took it kind of personally. When I said, "hello, I'm black." She said "Well, I meant BLACK black." Of course what she meant by that was, dark skinned. (I have very light skin, so I guess I don't qualify.)

In terms of the hair question.. I "went natural" about two years ago. It is hard, because afro textured hair isn't considered beautiful by Euro-american standards. But, I felt like I wasn't being myself when I was relaxing my hair. AND I want to change the perception of black hair. I rock my afro with pride now, and hopefully as more women become comfortable with their natural hair society will see its beauty and our daughters won't have to be ashamed, but will be able to be proud too. I rock my fro for them! So they can know they are beautiful just the way God made them.

Cara B said...

just a note on my previous comment; not being Muslim, the question of covering my hair doesn't really come up. Just to help you interpret my comments about being proud of my hair : )