So I was invited to some event on facebook called month of Safar which apparently says there are some special prayers and duas that need to be done in order to protect us from misfortune. I had never heard of this before and initally it sounded superstitious. So I googled it :) And of course found about 100 different hits with 100 different answers (ok that's totally an exageration but you get the point) Basically I found that yes this is a very bad month and there are some special duas we should make 10 times everyday and I also found that no there is no bad omen in this month. I didn't find any evidence in Qur'an or hadith that supports the former claim that this month is a bad omen but I did find a few hadiths as evidence of the latter:
Abu Hurairah (Radiya Allahu Anhu) reported from the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) that he said: "No 'Adwa (i.e. no contagious disease is conveyed to others without Allah's permission); nor (any evil omen in the month of) Safar; nor Hama." A bedouin said, "O Allah's Apostle! What about the camels which, when on the sand (desert) look like deers, but when a mangy camel mixes with them they all get infected with mange?" On that Allah's Apostle said, "Then who conveyed the (mange) disease to the first (mangy) camel?"
and
It is narrated from Ibn Masoud that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wa Sallam) said:
"No 'Adwa nor Safar, Allah created every soul and wrote its life, livelihood and trials." [At-Tirmithi]
If anyone has any more information about this please let me know
2 comments:
Millz, dahling... you've been tagged too!
http://thebarefootempress.blogspot.com/2009/01/ive-been-tagged.html
Assalamu alaikum sister,
I believe the notion that the month of Safar is one of misfortune doesn't have a basis, as I was also curious about it after reading your entry and decided to do some research. It seems that these kinds of beliefs are more like superstitions: http://ccmt.jucanada.org/days_celebrations.aspx/days__celebrations/superstition_-_month_of_safar
I just thought I'd share that with you. :)
Post a Comment