So I opted out of my job's "Holiday" (Christmas in disguise) party. My boss was NOT happy. One I wasn't feeling well today so sitting around for 3 hours at a party was not going to be beneficial to my health. Two I am not and really never have been a big holiday person. My biggest joy in Christmas was just doing stuff for other people and seeing them happy but I never felt connected to the holiday itself. Three, most of my coworkers I don't get along with that well and they have been especially "funny" towards since I started to become more interested in Islam. My friend says I'm that coworker that everyone talks about because I'm mean. That really hurt my feelings actually. I don't think I'm mean. I'm just tired of people trying to trample my feelings and beliefs. I've always been the type to let people walk all over me and that makes me "nice" and the second I decide that I'm going to be more assertive I'm mean. Honestly I just don't have the time to deal with the cattiness of the people at my job.
Anyways, back to the topic. I opted out and when I told my boss I would not be attending he was upset. I don't understand what the big deal is. I didn;t want to go last year but I got guilt tripped into going. I wanted to opt out of the end of the year picnic but I was told that they would take away vacation days if I did. Seriously since when are social gatherings mandatory to a job? And maybe it would be easier for me if I got along better with all of my coworkers and maybe if they tried to understand my point of view with Islam. But it's not the case. I feel like I'm going to be punished when I go back to work tomorrow. Maybe I should just call out...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Oh, I remember those days... "why can't you come?" and "what's the big deal?"- and they too disliked me after I accepted Islam... I wasn't "cool" anymore- Oh well... like I cared really! lol
At my old gig, there was always some attitude the next day or the "cold shoulder" but when I started chuckling at them and ignoring them the "day after" some realized just how dumb they were being.... do what's best for you!
LOL...maybe you should call out for a mental health and safety day. For your mental health and their safety!
All kidding aside, it's crazy that they are acting like that over a "party". Inshallah, things will get easier for you!
Yeah I definitely got the cold shoulder at work today. :( What can you do?
They don't have:'should attend work social gatherings' as part of the job description when you applied, hence it shouldn't be an obligation. I don't know why people don't seem to leave you alone when you don't wanna take part of social things @ work!...
awww sis, I completetly understand!!! People don't seem to get the picture. Although my co-workers are very nice and all... they all kept wishing me a happy christmas? lol And I'm like OK happy eid to u too? how ignorant! But yah, have patients sis and inshaAllah it will get easier for you :)!
Post a Comment