He said something to me, that I've heard him say to other people before. He said that for some reason people love to see others doing wrong with them. They'll encourage you to drink and to do drugs and to have sex and to go to clubs and etc. But the minute you turn away from that, the minute you act outside of the norm, even if it is for the better, they discourage you and make you feel like you're doing something wrong. Why will people encourage you to sin but discourage you from living a better life? Brother Imam said he thinks it's because it forces people to look at what they're doing. They see you being happy without the drugs, the alcohol, etc. They see that you've embraced a religion that allows you to be happy and to feel confident and it makes them now have to look at their own actions. It makes people become introspective. I think most people know that some of the things they do are not right but they can ignore it because it's what everyone else is doing. Having that one person who steps out of the norm puts into light the things they KNOW they are doing wrong. And they will find anyway to break you and bring you back to where they are.
I can't tell you how many negative things I've heard since I started learning about Islam:
- Do you want your husband to beat you cuz that;s what Muslim men do?
- Are your kids going to be born with a bomb strapped to their chests?
- If you wear a scarf all the time you'll have no hair and then who will want to be with you?
- Muslims are all exteremists
- You won't be able to get to heaven if you don't accept Jesus as your savior?
- You think you're too good to hang out with us now
- You're judging what we do because now you think you're better than us.
I've been starting to think that it's not Islam that people have a problem with. They have a problem with themselves and how they're living their lives. Instead of taking responsibility for it they find ways to make others feel bad about the choice to live a better life. They're struggling internally and it's much easier to take the issue out on someone else than to work on their own problems.
I;m going to try to keep this in mind when I'm feeling left out. The way I'm trying to live my life now makes my friends, coworkers, family members uncomfortable because it shines a light on the way that they live. It has nothing to do with me. I pray that they do find the right path ishaAllah.
7 comments:
Aww sis, mashaAllah you said it so beautifully.Although I don't think that people are intrinsicly evil and rejoice seeing other people suffering with them - that is not the point in Islam; rather that people are forgetful. People who resort to drugs, alcohol etc, are those that forgot the purpose of Life. Life is not about suffering - it is about doing good - and the more good you do the more you will be rewarded for it in the hearafter inshaAllah. It is upto the human being to remember WHY he is alive and WHY he is doing the things he is. Allah swt. has given us a guide through this life and it is upto US to remember this and make our way forward. The only reason people do resort to the bad things is because their soul is empty - it is thirsty for something more than this earthly life can offer - so they think the temporary high of drugs can make it better (though it only makes it worse). So that is what I think sis...We are all born muslim (those who submit to God),,, therefore we are all born with good intentions and naturally a human being feels better when he does good than if he does bad. :) inshaAllah may we all be guided, and may we keep reminding ourselves that our purpose in life is to keep doing good deeds and not make life miserable for others :)
im a Muslim, and i sterted wearing the hijab only recently... the first day itself.. a bunch of my very good friends deserted me... they were all Muslims....
what you said possibly the reason... they dont like the realization of being wrong to dawn upon them.. and so choose to be away from the good...
May Allah Guide us all... :)
I've had the same exact things happen to me. When I wasn't into the Christian religion and left it and said I wasn't sure there was a God, everyone was ok with this, but when I said, I finally found a religion that fit in with my beliefs everyone said it was a phase, but I've been studying Islam for the over a year and my interest continues to grow more and more everyday. And the fact that I'm actually happier and nicer now then when I was drinking and such doesn't factor into their opinions at all, now I'm just not cool.
Yeah it's so sad that people don't encourage the behaviors that are spiritually uplifting and that make for a better, happier, healthier life style. I must say that this whole blogging community is terrific because I can reach out to some people who are going through the same issues!
Awww, my friend and I were discussing this very same issue just yesterday. How the more you become closer to Allah, the more friends you lose! But this will only show you that those friends weren't true friends anyways, they were with you as long as you did the things they wanted you to be or as long as you fit the norm, the minute you're different they start changing their faces! In the end, Allah will show you who your true friends are, the ones who stick with you and respect your beleifs!
Yes sisters. The prophet pbuh said loneliness is better than bad company. :)
You know what? You and me are exactly alike. There was a time were i was so ignorant, insecure and ABSORBED into this Dunya. I let people walk all over me, I let people constantly hurt and betray me. Life just grew so hard to the point that I'd be indenial about it all. I would cry everyday. One day I heard these lyrics that continue to push me on even till today: "God only runs with the best of us, buries the rest of them. Theres a storm coming, I've got a 100 miles headstart on these b****es" And I just woke up and said f it all, I don't need these people who constantly bring me down and hurt me. I stood on the prayer mat, reciting suratul Al-Fatihah, with tears streaming down my face. And then it all clicked, I don't need anyone but ALLAH. Even till today, I carry on without a friend and even at times when I really need a true friend to sick by me, I'm lonely. But it's better than having bad company. If ever you need to talk, anytime, anyplace, anywhere just know that you have a muslimah who is willing to listen to you and be there for you. Trust me sister, I've been through alot of things. You need to speak and I'll be there for you.
May Allah bless you and make things easier for you.
Post a Comment