Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Is there room for culture in Islam?

So this has been a question that has been nagging for a while now. I'm a super duper fan of the all the Muslimah blogs and many of the most heated debates have been concerning style of dress and style of hijab. Many people have said that some of the cultural dress some people adopt, while modest enough, are not Islamic. I've also read about music and dance being haraam. It made me wonder is it wrong to be as passionate about your culture as you are about Islam?

A while back I attended an Indian Muslim wedding. MashaAllah, it was beautiful. The clothes, the colors, the jewelry. I showed some of the pictures to my father and he was confused. He said "I thought this was a Muslim wedding?" I told him it was and he said it looked more like something from a Bollywood movie. I looked over my pictures and I can kind of understand why he made such a statement. Many girls were wearing saris (which do show skin unless they're worn with a long sleeve, longer length top). I even wore a sari for the valima trying to fit in with the culture of the wedding though I attempted to pin mine in such a way that did not show too much skin. I only noticed one young woman wearing "proper" hijab. A few of the older woman wore it as well but mainly they wrapped the dupatta (stole/shawl) loosely over their heads. In some cases, the women only covered their hair (with dupatta or napkins or whatever was available) when Qu'ran was being recited. There was music played. Some dancing.

At the time, I didn't find anything wrong with it. Well, honestly I don't see anything wrong with it now. But it does bring up questions for me.

I'm African-American. Part West Indian. I was born and raised in the US. Some things, such as music and dance, are integral parts of who I am. My h2b (InshaAllah) is desi. As you see above that comes with a whole host of traditions. If I take part in some of these cultural traditions, does it mean I am not acting in accordance with Islam? Am I a bad Muslimah if I do participate?
Is one expected to forsake culture in order to fully embrace Islam?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As long as the culture/cultural practice is halal and in accordnce with Islam, then it's fine, inshAllah.

nida said...

Agreed with Halal Honey - there is nothing wrong with practicing your own traditions but we have to keep in mind that Islam itself is a tradition for all muslims all around the world - it is what makes us an Ummah. So if your nations traditions do not totally contradict the traditions of Islam itself then there is nothing wrong with it - inshaAllah. All we need to remember is that Islam is the most beautiful of coltures. :)

Almas Kiran Shamim said...

totally agree with halah honey and Nida...

i am an Indian Muslim, Alhamdulillah, and i know our weddings are, in many ways, unIslamic...

only those things that are allowed in Islam shud be practised...