I've never felt so much hostility towards me ever in my life until I started to show my interest in Islam. Seriously. And from people who I never thought would be so close minded.
I work for a faith based organization and while the organization is mainly made up of Christians there are a few non-Christians (remember the first post I talked about my co-worker who is an Imam) and a lot of our clients are non-Christians. I figured that religious tolerance and open-mindedness would not be uncommon at this place but apparently not. NO ONE was ever concerned about where I went to church or what I believed in. The second I express interest in Islam all of a sudden my religious beliefs are at the center of everyone's conversation! In the past year, almost daily, I've heard jokes about Muslims being terrorists. One person told me that if I keep my head covered my hair would fall out. Another said that I shouldn't involve myself in this "Muslim crap" and proceeded to give me a Christmas card that said Jesus is the Reason for the Season. Even some of my friends have been negative about it. My roommate from college saw me with my head covered and says "Oh God please don't tell me you're going to convert." It's so hurtful.
Sometimes I truly feel alone. I don't know who I can talk to about these things. I feel like I've been outcasted. I wonder if this ever gets easier...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Awwwwww sis. InshaAllah it gets easier for you! The first steps are always the hardest inshaAllah you find some better support :)
Thank you sis! One of my friends just took shahada so inshaAllah we can help each other out and be a good support system.
don worry my sister....
every trouble taken for any good deed, pays...sooner or later.. just never lose hope and courage...
even gals brought up as Muslims, sometimes, have to rebel agnst their families....
may Allah give you courage :)
Salaam sis,
InshaAllah things will get easier for you as Allah says in the Quran:
For indeed, with hardship will be ease. Indeed, with hardship will be ease [94:4-5]
Just remember why you're doing what you're doing and take no notice of the haters.
Post a Comment